Halasana- Plough Pose
The word "Hala" connotes 'plough' in Sanskrit. In this posture the practitioner's body is akin to an Indian plough.
- Lie down on the floor on your back and come into Ardha Halasana posture.
- Exhale slowly and press the palms on the floor.
- Raise your posterior, hips and lower back off the ground.
- While raising the lower part of your body, bring the feet closer down to the ground near your head. Keep your knees straight.
- Try to touch the ground with your feet.
- Inhale and breathe normally.
- Move your toes away from the head along the floor with further curvature of the spine until it reaches the maximum limit.
- Assume a steady posture and exhale completely.
- Breathe deeply.
- Exhale and slide the toes further such that your lower thighs lie just above the forehead.
- Continue to breathe normally.
- Form a chin-lock with your chin pressing against the chest.
- Bring both hands to the side of your head.
- Form a finger lock encircling your head.
- Keep your legs straight and toes should be pressing the ground.
- Hold this posture as long as you comfortably can. Maintain normal breathing.
- Bring the hands back to the sides of the body.
- Inhale slowly and bring the legs back to the vertical position without bending the knees.
- Exhale and now bring the legs back on the ground.
- Resume normal breathing.
- Relax with Savasana.
- Never practice this pose after meals.
- Menstruating and pregnant women should not practice this pose.
- Do not apply excessive pressure on your abdomen while practicing the pose.
- Halasana should not be practiced by people having heart problems, high blood pressure or hernia.
- The pose helps in treatment of rheumatism.
- It relieves tension from the neck and back, by stretching the muscles of the region.
- It cures slouching and helps in attaining a straight standing posture..
- It helps attain a slimmer waist as well as makes the hips suppler..
- Halasana exercises the entire spinal column and provides flexibility.
- This pose should be practiced by people wanting to lose weight and attain a flat tummy.
- It helps in removing laziness and fatigue
- Your heart gets strengthened owing to the alternate pressure put on the heart muscle. Blood circulation is also improved.