Jalandhara Bandha - Chin Lock
"Jala" means 'net' and "Dhar" means 'to hold'. In this bandha the network of energy channels or nadis of the body is locked. This bandha is also known as chin lock.
- Sit down on the floor.
- Assume Padmasana, keeping your head and neck erect.
- Keep your palms on the corresponding knees facing outwards.
- Exhale completely.
- Take a long and deep breath, raising your chest as you breathe in.
- Hold your breath for about 10 seconds.
- Raise your chin to the maximum limit without tilting your head.
- Slowly bend forward and push your neck and head towards the chest.
- Contract your throat and neck muscles simultaneously.
- Lower your chin slowly and place it on the jugular notch.
- Press your chin firmly down.
- Keeping your back up and straight, continue to contract the neck and throat muscles.
- Concentrate your gaze on the tip of your nose.
- Continue holding your breath with the chin lock as long as you comfortably can.
- Raise your chin first and then your neck and head and then return to erect sitting posture.
- Patients suffering from pressure problems should not perform this bandha.
- If you have breathing problems, do not do Jalandhara bandha.
- The bandha is beneficial to thyroid and parathyroid glands.
- Regular practice of the bandha can get rid of a double chin.
- Blood circulation in the throat and adjacent region is increased.
- People with throat problems can apply this bandha for treatment.
- Spinal nerve centers are stimulated.