"Sheetal" means 'cool' in Sanskrit. This pranayama has a cool effect on the body by lowering the body temperature.
- Sit in Padmasana.
- Place your hands on the corresponding knees with palms facing up.
- Assume Gyana Mudra with your fingers.
- Open your mouth and take out the tongue.
- Move to each side of the mouth.
- Inhale through your mouth and suck air into your lungs.
- Take in your tongue.
- Close your mouth.
- Retain your breath for about 5 seconds.
- Exhale completely through your nostrils.
- You can start off with one minute and build up to five minutes.
- High blood pressure patients can benefit from this pranayama.
- Sheetali Breathing cools down your body and quenches thirst.
- Liver functions well.