Supta Udkarshansana - Lying Abdominal Twist
"Supta" means 'reclining' and "Udarakarshan" means 'twisting'. In this pose the abdomen is twisted while lying down.
- Lie flat on your back with legs stretched out.
- Spread out both hands on either side, keeping the palms down.
- Fold the right leg at the knee.
- Lift the right leg and place your sole on the left thigh.
- Press your right knee on the floor with the left hand. The right knee should be touching the floor.
- Turn your head towards the right and try to gaze at the right hand.
- Keep your head turned and knee pressed on the ground for a few seconds.
- Continue normal breathing.
- Release the knee and return to starting posture.
- Repeat three to five times.
- Relax completely.
- Repeat the above steps with the left leg.
- This yoga pose helps the waist and hip get into better shape.
- This pose relieves constipation by improving bowel movements.
- Supta Udkarshasana helps tone the legs.
- Regular practice of the asana can result in weight loss.
- The spinal column gets toned and strengthened.