The word "Ujjayi" means 'victorious' in Sanskrit.
- Sit comfortable in Padmasana.
- Take a long and deep breath through both the nostrils.
- Close your glottis slightly.
- The inhalation should produce a sonorous sound.
- Hold the breath, applying Jalandhara Bandha and Moola Bandha.
- Exhale slowly through both nostrils, opening the glottis simultaneously.
- This should again produce a frictional sound.
- Complete exhalation and now apply Uddiyana Bandha.
- You can practice this pranayama three times spread throughout the day.
- Later you can increase to 27 times each day, with 9 in the morning, nine at noon and nine in the evening.
- The nervous and the digestive systems benefits from this Pranayama.
- This pranayama helps relax and calm your mind.
- Ujjayi breathing alleviates high blood pressure.
- You can develop a sweet voice with regular practice.
- It can give you relief from cold, cough and tonsillitis.
- This Pranayama can cure phlegm.